Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Highs and lows of technology Integration

Well. I must admit I experienced a big word cloud 'low' and 'high' today in Nashua at the Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference . I bumped into a friend of mine who had just used Wordle in her elementary classroom. I was convinced she would be raving about the success of her endeavor. WRONG! My friend had created an appropriate word cloud about thanksgiving, but when she used the site it displayed a word cloud created by someone else that contained inappropriate language. RATS! I had planned to use Wordle as a concluding activity in a lesson on Microsoft Word Basics for my elementary students. What is a risk-taking technology teacher to do? Keep listening! I no sooner had digested the bad news, when I heard my director tell me about an alternative word cloud generating site recommended by David Warlick called TagCrowd....

The site is a bit simpler than wordle, but the good news is that it still generates a word cloud that can be printed OR embedded into a blog/wiki, but it seems to avoid displaying anything other than YOUR word cloud which could be a blessing to elementary educators....sometimes LESS IS MORE. Susan...don't loose hope, check this out!

2 comments:

Susan M. Wright said...

I WILL check this out. Isn't networking great!

Paul said...

Had trouble embedding code into my wiki once I created the TagCrowd - oh well one more thing to work on.